Our 2022 MDR Labor Day weekend guide is here! Scroll below for fun things to do by the water or on the water. Click here for the MDR Events Calendar.
JUST ADD WATER: FUN ACTIVITIES FOR EVERYONE
1. It’s the last weekend to ride the Marina WaterBus for $1 per person and grab lunch or dinner along the harbor. While at Fisherman’s Village, stop by the newly opened pop-up bar On the Docks on Friday-Sunday for $3 tacos and $5 drink specials.
2. Endless summer days are best enjoyed above the sky at 500 feet on a parasailing adventure. Tandem rides are available and kids can join (6 years and older).
3. It’s the final weekend of the annual Sunday BoatHouse pool party series at the Marina del Rey Hotel’s new “Del Rey Swim Club.” Hotel guests (21 and over) get complimentary access, while non-hotel guests pay a $15 cover charge for live DJ entertainment along with food an drink specials. Click here for more information.
4. So many ways to get on the water here in MDR! Kayak, stand-up paddle, or rent an electric duffy boat to explore the harbor. Charter a yacht for a half-day or full-day escapade in Santa Monica Bay. Or take a YOGAqua class at Marina “Mother’s” Beach for an invigorating workout.
WHERE TO ENJOY MUSIC BY THE SEA
4. Feel the rhythm on Friday evenings at Dance MDR, a series of free dance classes held weekly at Burton Chace Park from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Professional dance instructors will feature a different dance style every week along with live DJ entertainment and food trucks. First up on Friday, Sept. 2 is Disco Night! Click here for more information.
5. Take free salsa lessons every Friday at The Warehouse Restaurant starting at 9 p.m. Afterwards, the floor is open for dancing with a $15 cover charge at 10 p.m. Click here for more details.
6. Kick off Labor Day weekend with cocktails and live music at popular waterfont restaurants including Beachside on Thursdays, Wave Poolside Bar & Grill on Wednesdays through Sundays, Killer Yacht Club (Thursdays through Saturdays), Sinder Lounge on Fridays, and Brizo Bar and Restaurant (Fridays and Saturdays). Click here for more details.
WHERE TO WATCH MOVIES UNDEr THE STARS
7. Pack a picnic and head to Burton Chace Park for the free annual Marina del Rey Movies on Saturday nights. This Labor Day weekend, Marvel fans can watch Iron Man (PG-13) under the stars. For an outdoor movie experience by the beach, catch Big Hero 6 (G) on Sunday, Sept. 4 during Jamaica Bay Inn’s Movies on the Lawn starting at 7 p.m.
WHERE TO EAT & DRINK
8. Enjoy food truck fare at the weekly Beach Eats food truck event on Lot #11 on Thursday. Or shop and try gourmet food and fresh produce at the weekly Marina del Rey Farmers market on Saturday also at Lot #11.
9. Weekend brunch is taken seriously around these parts. Whether you’re enjoying harbor views at SALT and Brizo or listening to live music on a jazz brunch cruise, you can’t go wrong choosing a waterfront brunch experience in MDR. Click here to view the Marina del Rey waterfront dining guide.
10. Hot weather is expected on Labor Day weekend in L.A.’s Marina. Cool off with ice-cream at some of our favorite spots including Daniel’s Ice Cream at Fisherman’s Village, KC’s Crepes, Pinkberry at Waterside Shops, Coldstone Creamery or Capri Gelato.