Weekend brunch at Brizo just went up a notch now that it’s being served on their rooftop space. Plus, did you know Kalaveras Cantina is now open? We’ve got the latest culinary updates in MDR. Check out where to eat, drink and be merry in Marina del Rey.
WEEKEND BRUNCH AT TERRACE DECK
1. Brizo is a cool, laid-back restaurant tucked away in a primarily residential area along Via Marina. It has quietly stolen the hearts (and stomachs!) of both locals and visitors. Led by Executive Chef Chris Houlihan (former chef de cuisine at Playa Provisions under Top Chef Brooke Williamson), they just launched weekend brunch on its rooftop known as “Terrace Deck.” The weekend brunch menu is available on Saturdays and Sundays starting at 10 a.m. Try mouthwatering savory dishes such as lobster toast or braised pork belly benedict. Or satisfy your sweet dish craving with the brown butter pound cake French toast and citrus yogurt parfait.
KALAVERAS CANTINA NOW OPEN
2. Kalaveras Cantina recently opened its doors. They’re located in the former Jerry’s Deli space at the Villa Marina Marketplace. Enjoy modern Mexican cuisine in a Dia de Los Muertos (Day of the Dead) themed environment. Upon walking in, you’re surrounded by vibrant colorful art on the walls, black lights and Latin Pop or Reggaeton music pumping. The energetic vibe matches its impressive cocktail menu featuring tasty drinks made with fresh herbs, infusions, and homemade syrups.
BEACHSIDE LAUNCHES NEW FALL MENU
3. This popular beachfront restaurant launched its fall menu created by Executive Chef Victor Morales. The California fare combined with Latin-inspired ingredients gives guests a delightful experience dining by the beach. Must-try fall dishes include the pumpkin picadillo & goat cheese empanadas, local Duarte salmon or red wine-poached pear. Make reservations and request outdoor seating to take in the view of Marina “Mother’s” Beach.
sinder lounge specials in november
4. From Day of the Dead cocktail specials and National Wine Tasting wine flight, Sinder Lounge is rolling out fun food and drinks specials this fall. Located inside the Marina del Rey Marriott, Sinder is frequented by locals, visitors, business travelers, and others seeking a laid-back spot in the Marina. Click here to see the events calendar for more details.
ALFRED’S COFFEE OPENING SOON
5. Construction is currently underway for Alfred’s Coffee, adjacent to HiHo Cheeseburger at the Boardwalk Shops. A little birdie told us this popular L.A. coffee chain will open before the holidays. What is Alfred’s Coffee? Alfred first launched in 2013 by Los Angeles native Josh Zad. “But first, coffee.” That’s the company’s mantra which has become one of the most Instagrammed coffee shops in the area. According to various sources, they’re the most Instagram-able cafe in the world with outposts ranging from L.A. to Tokyo. Other locations in L.A. include West Hollywood (located on Melrose, its first outpost), Koreatown, Brentwood, Pacific Palisades, Silver Lake, and several others. Can’t wait to have Marina del Rey added to their list. We’ll keep you posted once their doors open!
WINSTON PIES COMING TO MDR
6. As of mid-October, a sign went up for Winston Pies right next to the future Alfred’s Coffee at Boardwalk Shops. This artisan Los Angeles-based bakery (with other locations in Brentwood, Santa Monica and West Hollywood) was inspired by its founder who grew up baking with her family in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. According to their menu, everything is handmade from scratch using locally sourced, all-natural ingredients. Various flavors that stand out to us include Southern Pecan Pie, Harvest Apple Pie and Chocolate Cowgirl Pie. Click here to view more menu items. And check back here for the latest on its opening date plans!
Want more dining inspiration? Click here to view our waterfront dining guide.