Pack up the bags and get out of town using our family getaway itinerary in Marina del Rey. Located on the Los Angeles coastline, L.A.’s Marina boasts waterfront hotels, restaurants with open-air patios and on- and-off the water activities that are fun and perfect for reconnecting with the fam. A family getaway itinerary in Marina del Rey can mean lying on the beach, kayaking in the harbor or sailing in your own private boat up to Malibu. Traveling with family can be fun–especially in Marina del Rey!
FAMILY GETAWAY Itinerary Ideas
- Hotels in L.A.’s Marina welcome families of all ages all year long. Book a room or suite with a view of the marina and keep the kiddos entertained while they watch for boats and sea lions in the harbor.
- Kid-friendly dining with open-air patios can be found throughout the Marina. Even the pickiest eaters will approve of breakfast, lunch or dinner at spots such as Tony P’s Dockside Grill, Beachside at Jamaica Bay Inn, Cast & Plow at The Ritz-Carlton, Marina del Rey or The Warehouse Restaurant. Time: Up to you
- City Cruises offers brunch cruises on Saturdays and Sundays. Families can enjoy a meal at their own private table, along with music entertainment and plenty of space on the open-air top deck for taking selfies and dancing. Time: 4 hours
- Families can fish together on either a half-day or full-day small-group sport fishing excursion or private fishing charter out of Marina del Rey with Marina del Rey Sportfishing, LA Sportfishing or Killer Ocean Adventures. Equipment rentals and bait are provided. Guests 16 and older must get a one-day fishing license. Time: 4-8 hours
- Book a whale-watching tour out of L.A.’s Marina. Marina del Rey Sportfishing runs whale-watching tours in Santa Monica Bay. Time: 6-8 hours
- Marina “Mother’s” Beach offers calm waters and a roped off swimming and wading area for kids. A playground equipment on the beach makes it double the fun for younger kids, too. Time: Up to you
- Explore the neighboring Ballona Wetlands, home to more than 200 species of wildlife. Docent-led tours are available on select weekend days, or go at your own pace on a public walking path that traces the perimeter. Time: Up to you
- Pedal around the marina on bike rentals from Daniel’s Bicycle Rentals at Fisherman’s Village. Kids bicycles, kids carts and kids bike trailers are available including helmets, locks and baskets. Hop on the Marvin Braude Coastal Bike Trail to check out neighboring Venice. Time: Up to you
- Hot summer days means ice-cream or frozen yogurt. Stop by Daniel’s Ice Cream or Coldstone Creamery for a cold treat. Time: Up to you
- A scenic way to get around the marina is riding the WaterBus for just $1 per person one-way. This popular family-friendly activity is only available June through early September. Kids and grown-ups alike enjoy seeing sea lions play in the harbor as the WaterBus makes stops along different areas. Time: 1 hour
- Adventurous crew? Then, spend a morning on a kayak or stand-up paddle board with hourly rentals available through Marina del Rey Boat Rentals and Pro SUP Shop. Time: 2-3 hours
- Spend a half-day or more at the beautiful 10-acre Burton Chace Park. Families can get one of the best viewing areas of the harbor with water views on three sides. The park is wheelchair and stroller accessible.
- Click here to read about Spring Break ideas in Marina del Rey.